The Office of Inclusion and Diversity is proud to host the 41st annual Eclipse Week from April 4th through 9th, 2016. This year’s theme is “Mirroring Positive, Change, Starting from Within.” Registration is required by April 1st.
Eclipse is the Academy’s premier opportunity for service-wide fellowship and learning. It is the only event that unites alumni and cadets each year for personal and professional development. Besides promoting camaraderie and esprit d’Corps, Eclipse also supports strategic goals:
- Retaining top talent
- Recruiting future cadets
- Inspiring a climate of inclusion
Eclipse will commemorate the 50th anniversary of the graduation of CDR Merle Smith (U.S. Coast Guard Reserve, Retired), the first African American Academy graduate.
Other highlights include:
- Nationally recognized key note speakers
- Women’s Leadership Council film screening
- Professional networking sessions
- Fourth Class Cadet Poetry Slam
- Student Talent Show featuring cadets and Connecticut College undergrads
- Award Banquet
Past Award Recipients
History of Eclipse Week
Eclipse Week is a celebratory tradition established by the Genesis Club in the 1970s to mentor and inspire cadets in preparation for lasting careers as officers in the Coast Guard. The Genesis Club was formed as a social outlet for the few African American cadets within the Corps of Cadets. Over time, Genesis evolved into one of the largest and most active clubs on campus, and became instrumental in professional development and retention.
Forty years later Genesis Club was renamed the Genesis Council. Other councils committed to inclusion, diversity, professional development, and public service formed. These include:
Today, Eclipse Week offers a series of activities, meetings, social events and presentations featuring national diversity experts, Coast Guard personnel, cadets, faculty and staff.
Eclipse is unique among the military service academies and exemplifies the Coast Guard Academy’s continuing commitment to diversity and leadership development.
Past Eclipse Weeks and Themes
- 2015: Strength in Diversity...Empowerment Through Inclusion
- 2014: Understanding the Past, Reinventing the Future
- 2013: Check the Compass...Chart the Course
- 2012: Openness. Inclusion. Change
- 2011: Reconceptualizing Leadership Through a Diversity Lens
- 2010: Our Legacy Starts Now
For more information, please contact Mr. Andrew Duffield via email or by phone at (860) 701-6624.