Hi, everyone! So I know I haven't written in a while but I'll blame it on the amazing and crazy busy summer I have been having. I went on Eagle for two weeks and then came back and did Summer Ocean Racing (SOR) for the next five, which was an awesome experience. There were nine cadets and three coaches on the team. We sailed our J44 Glory in a number of races around New England; including the Newport to Annapolis race, New York Yacht Club Annual, and Block Island Race Week. Anyway, I am just going to give a quick list of the many things I learned/did during SOR.
1. Sailing is fun but overnight racing in the Ocean is amazing.
2. Changing sails at 2 a.m. is routine.
3. Clothes never completely dry out.
4. Falling asleep to dolphins squealing is really cool.
5. How to cook chili when the sailboat is heeled 20 degrees, as well as through a tack.
6. Everyone becomes one great, big family.
7. Hot chocolate tastes best late at night on watch.
8. That I get paid to do awesome stuff.
9. 16 knots is almost planing speed.
10. Diesel in the bilge will not clean itself.
11. Diesel and tropical-scented Dawn soap is a very interesting combination.
12. Sunsets/rises on the ocean is one of the most beautiful sights ever.
13. Clean sheets and a stationary bed is another of the most beautiful sights ever.
10. Hard work pays off!
Summer Ocean Racing isn't for everyone, but I had an amazing experience and can't wait to do it again next year!
More about Erin.