The Men's Rugby Team is a club sport that competes against other DI and DII colleges in the DII New England Collegiate Rugby Conference. Rugby is a physically demanding international contact sport that started in England in 1823. It is scheduled to be included in the next summer Olympics and was a precursor to American football.
Since 1968 the Bears have clawed their way up from playing Division IV in a Stonington cow pasture to the 2006 DII National Champions. During the period from 2000 to 2008 the Bears were an impressive 76 and 12 and earned three Conference titles and five Regional Championships. In 2012 the men returned to the national playoff scene losing to Colgate in the Regionals and ending the year ranked #9 in the country.
Fall 2013 Schedule
- September 21: CGA @ URI
- September 28: CGA vs. UNH
- October 4: CGA @ UVM
- October 12: CGA vs. Norwich
- October 19: CGA vs. BU
- October 26: CGA @ Tufts (Win)
- November 2: CGA vs. UNH (Win)
- November 9: CGA vs. URI (Win)
- November 16: CGA vs. Niagra University (Win)
- November 17: CGA vs. Salisbury University (Loss)
- November 23: CGA vs. Niagara University - National Sweet 16 Championship Division III Playoff @ Salisbury University
Check out their home page for updated information at www.uscgarfc.com.