New London, Connecticut —On Wednesday, May 18, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson will give the keynote address at the 135th Commencement Exercises of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.
For planning purposes only, not for reporting:
5 a.m. - 6 a.m.
Media wishing to pre-set equipment (tripods, large cameras, cable, large bags, etc.) including satellite/microwave trucks, must arrive during this time. All members of the media should proceed to the main gate of the Coast Guard Academy for an ID check, then to the entrance to the Cadet Memorial Field press box on Harriet Lane for equipment drop-off. The cable run to the main camera platform is approximately 300 feet. ALL EQUIPMENT AND TRUCKS MUST BE PRE-SET BY 6 A.M.
*Note: Vehicles other than satellite trucks are not allowed to park on campus. Media and guests must use a shuttle system from a designated off-site parking lot after pre-set. Shuttles will run 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
6 a.m. - 9 a.m.
The U.S. Secret Service conducts a security sweep of the event area and the event area is closed. All personnel must leave and there is no media access during this time period.
8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
All media should arrive at one of the designated off-site parking lots to travel to the event by shuttle. Off-site lots include the Connecticut College South Lot, Connecticut College Dayton Arena parking lot, and Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church (63 Old Norwich Road, Quaker Hill, Conn. 06375). Media should have identification available to present before boarding the shuttles. Credentials will be issued on site at Cadet Memorial Field to individuals who submitted a credential request. All media must be present at a designated off-site lot no later than 9:30 a.m.
9 a.m. -10 a.m.
Media credentialing at Cadet Memorial Field.
Commencement start time.
- All satellite/live trucks must be in place on Harriet Lane on the Coast Guard Academy campus by 6 a.m.
- All media will depart the field once the U.S. Secret Service begins the security sweep. No live shots are allowed during the security sweep.
- Media members must check in at Cadet Memorial Field between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. to get credentials. No one is permitted on the field without credentials.
- Media can return to the field once credentialed after 9 a.m.
- Media members must prominently display their credentials/passes at all times.
- Media may approach and interview newly commissioned officers immediately following graduation, after Secretary Johnson has left the field.
- If you need something, ask a Coast Guard media liaison.
- Failure to adhere to these rules or other verbal instructions from the DHS staff or Coast Guard liaisons will result in immediate removal from Academy grounds.
- These rules are subject to change, media should check with DHS or Coast Guard liaisons the morning of Commencement for any updates.
- Cable Run (distance from live truck to main riser): 300 feet
- Throw (distance from main riser to stage): 80 feet
- Power will be provided on site. Internet access will be unavailable.
The event location is United States Coast Guard Academy Cadet Memorial Field, 15 Mohegan Avenue, New London, Connecticut, 06320.