Assistant Professor, Civil Engineering
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
LCDR Dan Ursino is an Assistant Professor in the Civil Engineering major, and has also served as the Assistant Dean of Academics since May 2012. He is a native of Springfield, Massachusetts. He is a 1995 graduate of Springfield Central High School and a 1999 graduate of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, where he earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering. He holds a Master of Science Degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois, and is licensed as a Professional Engineer in Florida.
As a cadet, LCDR Ursino was a member of the varsity wrestling team and men’s lacrosse team. As a faculty member, he has served both of these teams as a coach and advisor since 2010 including one season as co-head coach and lead faculty advisor for the Men’s Lacrosse Program for the 2012-2013 academic year.
After graduating from the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, LCDR Ursino was assigned to USCGC Confidence (WMEC 619) home-ported in Port Canaveral, Florida as a Deck Watch Officer and First Lieutenant. He attended the University of Illinois from August 2001 to December 2002. He was assigned to USCG Base San Juan in Puerto Rico as the Facilities Engineer from January 2003 to June 2005. In 2005, he transferred to USCG Civil Engineering Unit (CEU) Miami in Florida as a Project Manager and Design Team Leader. There, he also deployed as a member of the Disaster Assessment Team, and responded to hurricanes Katrina, Rita, and Wilma. LCDR Ursino’s most recent assignment was as the Operations Officer on board USCGC Active (WMEC 618) home-ported in Port Angeles, Washington from July 2008 to June 2010.
- M.S., University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 2002
- B.S., U.S. Coast Guard Academy, 1999
- Statics and Engineering Design, Lecture
- Mechanics of Materials, Lecture and Lab
- Soil Mechanics, Lab
- Construction Project Management, Lecture
- Civil Engineering Design, Lecture
- Professional Engineer in Florida since 2006
- Coast Guard Commendation Medal, 2008, 2010
- Coast Guard Achievement Medal, 2005, 2006
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)Statics and Engineering Design, Lecture
- Engineers without Borders (EWB-USA), New London County Professionals Chapter