LCDR Jeremy M. McKenzie
Department of Humanities
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Lieutenant Commander Jeremy McKenzie became a member of the Academy’s faculty in June of 2016 after completing his Master of Public Policy program at Brown University. There, Lieutenant Commander McKenzie led a major project on cooperation in the Bering Strait Region that required travel to both Alaska and Russia to conduct research. While at Brown, he was recognized with both the Director’s Award for leadership as well as the Director’s Award for the best capstone project. He also interned for the City of Hartford Development Services Division as well as U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut.
Lieutenant Commander McKenzie previously served at both air stations Atlantic City and Savannah as an MH-65D Aircraft Commander and qualified in both Search and Rescue (SAR) and Rotary Wing Air Intercept (RWAI) missions. Prior to serving in the Coast Guard he was an Army Medical Service Corps Officer and UH-60 Blackhawk medical evacuation pilot. In the Army, he served multiple overseas tours to include Korea, a peacekeeping tour in Bosnia and two combat tours in Iraq. As an aircraft commander in both the Army and the Coast Guard, Lieutenant Commander McKenzie has more than 2,900 flight hours, including more than 300 hours of combat and imminent danger time.
Lieutenant Commander McKenzie earned Coast Guard Aviator Wings, the Expert Field Medical Badge, Army Aviator Badge, and U.S. Army Parachutist Badge.
Lieutenant Commander McKenzie and his wife, Nicole, reside in Connecticut with their two daughters. They enjoy travel, soccer, alpine skiing, Tae Kwon Do and outdoors activities.
- Master of Public Policy, Watson Institute for International and Public Affairs at Brown University, 2016
- Master of Social Science, Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University, 2012
- Master of Business Administration, University of Maryland University College, 2005
- Bachelor of Science, Summa Cum Laude, State University of New York, College at Brockport, 1997
- American Government
- Arctic Advanced Research Project
- FAA Private Pilot Ground School
- Bronze Star Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Air Medal (x2)
- Coast Guard Commendation Medal
- Army Commendation Medal (x3)
- Army Achievement Medal (x2)
- Coast Guard Letter of Commendation (x2)
- Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal (x2)