U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Lieutenant Commander Noto currently serves as an instructor in the Humanities Department, Law Section. Prior to this assignment, he was a staff attorney in the Office of Legal and Defense Services (CG-094M) at Coast Guard Headquarters Ballston from July 2012 to July 2014. As his primary duty, he was responsible for representing members being evaluated for continued service by the Physical Disability Evaluation System. Additionally, he assisted in the representation of members convicted by courts-martial before the Coast Guard Court of Criminal Appeals, as well as provided members with administrative separation, military justice, and legal assistance advice.
Lieutenant Commander Noto also served as a staff attorney in the Office of Claims and Litigation (CG-0945) at Coast Guard Headquarters from April 2010 to July 2012. In this capacity, he supported the Department of Justice in defending the Coast Guard in federal, civil litigation and the prosecution of cost recovery actions. Lieutenant Commander Noto joined the Coast Guard as a Direct Commission Lawyer in 2010.
Preceding his transition to the Coast Guard, Lieutenant Commander Noto was a commissioned officer in the U.S. Navy from 1995 to 2010. He was commissioned through the U.S. Navy Officer Candidate School in 1995. While serving as the Engineering Department Auxiliaries Division Officer onboard the Spruance Class Destroyer, USS Comte De Grasse (DD 974), he achieved Surface Warfare Officer Qualification in 1998. Subsequently, he qualified as a Naval Gunfire Liaison Officer and deployed with U.S. Marine Corps, Battalion Landing Team 3/6 as part of the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit to the Mediterranean region in 2000. Lieutenant Commander Noto then transitioned to the Navy Reserves and continued his service during post-graduate study.
- Judge Advocate certification, U.S. Naval Justice School, 2010
- Juris Doctorate, Wayne State University Law School, 2009
- Master of Arts in Education, University of Michigan, 2002
- Bachelor of Science (Psychology), Michigan State University, 1995
- Bachelor of Arts (Ancient Studies), Michigan State University, 1995
- Coast Guard Achievement Medal
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal
- Commandant’s Letter of Commendation
- Coast Guard Meritorious Team Commendation (3)