CDR Gregory J. Hall
Associate Dean of Academics
Department of Science
U.S. Coast Guard Academy
Commander Hall serves as the Associate Dean of Academics. He earned a B.S. (with Honors) in Marine Science from the Coast Guard Academy in 1995. After graduation, he served as Communications Officer and later Operations Officer aboard USCGC Spar (WLB 403) in Portland, Maine. In 1997, USCGC Spar was decommissioned and CDR Hall transferred to MSO Portland, Maine as the Hazardous Materials Response Officer. CDR Hall joined the faculty of USCGA in 1999 after receiving his M.S. at Tufts University, and was appointed to the Permanent Commissioned Teaching Staff (PCTS) in 2000. He later completed his Ph.D. at Tufts. His research interests include analytical chemistry and chemometrics, and he is presently using those techniques to investigate the changes in oil left in the environment following an oil spill. CDR Hall is Editor of the Proceedings of the International Oil Spill Conference, and also serves as the Academy’s Accreditation Liaison Officer representing USCGA to the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, and as the Academy’s Grants Office Director.
- Tufts University, Ph.D., Chemistry, 2006
- Tufts University, M.S., Chemistry, 1999
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy, B.S. Marine Science (with honors), 1995
- Petroleum and Oil Spill Science
- Fate and Transport of Chemicals in the Environment
- Nelson, R. K., Aeppli, C., Arey, J. S., Chen, H., de Oliveira, A. H., Eiserbeck, C., ... & Hall, G. J. (2016). Applications of Comprehensive Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography (GC× GC) in Studying the Source, Transport, and Fate of Petroleum Hydrocarbons in the Environment (No. EPFL-CHAPTER-210439). Elsevier.
- Hall, G. J., Frysinger, G. S., Aeppli, C., Carmichael, C. A., Gros, J., Lemkau, K. L., ... & Reddy, C. M. (2013). Oxygenated weathering products of Deepwater Horizon oil come from surprising precursors. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 75(1), 140-149.
- Frysinger, G. S., G. J. Hall, et al. (2011). "Tracking and Modeling the Degradation of a 30 Year Old Fuel Oil Spill with Comprehensive Two-Dimensional Gas Chromatography." Proceedings of the International Oil Spill Conference.
- Ventura, G. T., G. J. Hall, et al. (2011). "Analysis of petroleum compositional similarity using multiway principal components analysis (MPCA) with comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatographic data." Journal of Chromatography A 1218(18): 2584-2592.
- Boyd, T. J., B. P. Barham, et al. (2010). "Variation in ultrafiltered and LMW organic matter fluorescence properties under simulated estuarine mixing transects: 2. Mixing with photoexposure." J. Geophys. Res. 115: G00F14.
- Alostaz, M., K. Biggar, et al. (2008). "Soil type effects on petroleum contamination characterization using ultraviolet induced fluorescence excitation-emission matrices (EEMs) and parallel factor analysis (PARAFAC)." Journal of Environmental Engineering and Science. 7: 661-675.
- Hall, G. J. and J. E. Kenny (2007). "Estuarine water classification using EEM spectroscopy and PARAFAC–SIMCA." Analytica Chimica Acta 581(1): 118-124.
- Hall, G.J.; Kenny, JE “Estuarine water classification using EEM spectroscopy and PARAFAC-SIMCA” Analytica Chimica Acta, 581 (1): 118-124 JAN 2 2007
- Gaines, RB; Hall, G.J.; Frysinger, GS; et al. “Chemometric determination of target compounds used to fingerprint unweathered diesel fuels” Environmental Forensics, 7 (1): 77-87 March 2006
- Hall, G.J.; Clow, KE; Kenny, JE “Estuarial fingerprinting through multidimensional fluorescence and multivariate analysis” Environmental Science and Technology, 39 (19): 7560-7567 OCT 1 2005
- Hart, SJ; Hall, G.J.; Kenny, JE “A laser-induced fluorescence dual-fiber optic array detector applied to the rapid HPLC separation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons” Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, 372 (1): 205-215 JAN 2002
- American Chemical Society
- American Geophysical Union
- American Association for the Advancement of Science