Dounia Elkhatib, Ph.D
- Ph.D., University of Rhode Island, May 2020
- M.S., University of Cincinnati, December 2010
- B.S., Lebanese University, May 2007
- Environmental Engineering, Lecture
- Mechanics of Materials, Lecture
- Environmental Engineering Design Capstone Advisor
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Elkhatib, Dounia, and Oyanedel-Craver, Vinka. “A Critical Review of Extraction and Identification Methods of Microplastics in Wastewater and Drinking Water.” Environmental Science & Technology 54.12 (2020): 7037-049.
- Elkhatib, D.; Carissimi, E.; Craver, V. (2020). “Removal of Microplastic at Wastewater Treatment Plants using Electrocoagulation Process.” Elsevier B.V. Separation and purification technology, 2021, Vol.276, p.118877
- Elkhatib, Dounia; Cashman, Michaela A.; Ho, Kay T.; Burgess, Robert M. “Assessment of Microplastics contamination in Estuary and Marine Sediments.” SciCon2 2020 SETAC North America 41st Annual Meeting – November 2020.
- Assessment of Filter Subsampling and Extrapolation for Quantifying Microplastics in Marine Sediments using Raman Spectroscopy. D El Khatib, TD Langknecht, MA Cashman, RM Burgess, KT Ho. North Atlantic Chapter 28th Annual Meeting and Short Course- June 2022
- Carissimi, E.; Elkhatib, D.; Rodrigues, C. and Craver, V. (2019). Flocculation: Mechanisms and Applications for Wastewater Treatment. Chemistry Research and Applications.
- Cashman, Michaela A; Langknecht, Troy; El-Khatib, Dounia; Burgess, Robert M; Boving, Thomas B; Robinson, Sandra; Ho, Kay T (2022). Quantification of microplastics in sediments from Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island, the USA using a novel isolation and extraction method. Marine pollution bulletin, 2022-01, Vol.174, p.113254-113254
- Hannah De Frond, Win Cowger, Sebastian Primpke, Susanne Brander, Violet Renick, Suja Sukumaran, Amy Lusher, Bridget O’Donnell, Dounia Elkhatib, Steve Barnett, Florian Vollnhals, Wenjian Lao, Maria Navas-Moreno, Keith Rickabaugh, Eunah Lee, Gaurav Amarpuri, Silke Christiansen. “What determines the accuracy of chemical identification using microspectroscopy for microplastic pollution?” SETAC North America 42nd Annual Meeting- November 2021
- Langknecht, T,W. Lao,C. Wong,D. El Khatib,S. Kotar,S. Robinson,R. Burgess and K. Ho. “A Multi-Laboratory Method Comparison for Quantifying Microplastics in Sediments: The Roles of Visual Microscopy and Spectroscopy”. Chemosphere (2022).