Michael Bellissimo, Ph.D., M.B.A
Mike Bellissimo is a newly appointed (2023) Lecturer in the Department of Management at the United States Coast Guard, teaching Organizational Behavior and Leadership. Prior to the Coast Guard, Mike was at the Weatherhead School of Management at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland Ohio, working on his PhD, and consulting, as the Founder of BarBell Ventures, to health tech start-ups across the US. In addition to his duties at the Coast Guard, Mike remains a Research Fellow at Case Western where he studies leadership and team behavior under extreme crises. Mike’s recently completed PhD dissertation is titled “Reliability and Resilience at US Hospitals During the Global Covid-19 Pandemic: A Mixed Methods Study on the Effect of Leader and Team Behavior on Crisis Response.” Mike’s particular focus has been on the crisis responsiveness of military healthcare which resulted in his publishing a case study on the Veterans Health Administration’s response to the pandemic. Prior to his PhD, Mike held leadership positions in healthcare at The Cleveland Clinic and Humana, and in the technology sector at Apple, Sun Microsystems, Yahoo!, and Microsoft. When Mike is not teaching, he enjoys cycling, having completed a dozen treks from San Francisco to Los Angeles by bike and running, having finished both the Honolulu Marathon and the New York City Marathon. And, when not in New London, Mike spends time with his family at their home on Martha’s Vineyard.
- Bachelor of Arts in Communications, University of Pennsylvania- Philadelphia, 1981
- Master of Business Administration, Northeastern University- Boston, 1985
- Master of Science in Education, University of San Francisco- Coursework Completed, 2000
- PhD in Management, Case Western Reserve University- Cleveland, 2023
- Bellissimo, M. (2020). (A Qualitative Study on) Hospital Leadership in Times of Crisis: How Leader Humility During the Covid-19 Pandemic Enabled Their Organizations to be More Resilient and Responsive to the Changing Needs for Care. Case Western Reserve University.
- Bellissimo, M. (2021). (A Quantitative Study on) How Hospital Leadership During the Covid-19 Pandemic Enabled Resilient Response to the Changing Needs for Care. Case Western Reserve University.
- Bellissimo, M. (2022). (A Case Study on) Crisis Response at the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) During the Covid-19 Pandemic. Case Western Reserve University.
- Bellissimo, M. (2023). Reliability and Resilience at US Hospitals During the Covid-19 Pandemic: A Mixed Methods Study on the Effect of Leader and Team Behavior on Crisis Response. Case Western Reserve University.