Professor Bergondo earned a B.A. in Chemistry (1996) from Franklin and Marshall College, M.E. in Ocean Engineering (1999) from Stevens Institute of Technology, and Ph.D. in Chemical Oceanography (2004) from the University of Rhode Island’s Graduate School of Oceanography (URI-GSO). She was a postdoctoral investigator at URI-GSO from 2004 to 2007, where she did research on circulation in upper Narragansett Bay and the Providence River. Professor Bergondo has been a member of the U.S. Coast Guard Academy faculty since 2006. She teaches Marine Geochemistry, Coastal Oceanography, Atmospheric and Marine Sciences and the 4/c Experience course. Professor Bergondo’s has an active research program centered on understanding the structure (temperature and salinity stratification) and circulation of the Thames River Estuary.
- Ph.D., Chemical Oceanography, University of Rhode Island, Narragansett, Rhode Island, 2004
- M.E., Ocean Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology, Hoboken, New Jersey, 1999
- B.A., Chemistry, Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, 1996
- Marine Geochemistry
- Coastal Oceanography
- Atmospheric and Marine Sciences
- Introduction to Geospatial Sciences
- Marine Renewable Energy Seminar
- Fourth Class Experience
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Rogers, J., Bergondo, D., and Kincaid, C., In Prep, Characterizing Flow across the northern tip of Prudence Island, Rhode Island, Journal of Geophysical Research.
- Kremer, J., Vaudrey, J., Ullman, D., Bergondo, D., LaSota, N., Kincaid, C., Codiga, D, and Brush, M., 2010, Simulating Property Exchange in Estuarine Ecosystem Models at Ecologically Appropriate Scales, Ecological Modelling 221(7)1080-1088.
- Kincaid, C., Bergondo, D., and Rosenberger, K., 2008, The role of winds, runoff and seasonal variability in the exchange of water between Narragansett Bay and Rhode Island Sound, Ecosystem-based Estuary Management: A Case Study of Narragansett Bay, Springer.
- Bergondo, D. L., Estuarine Dynamics of the Providence River, Invited Speaker, Rhode Island College Undergraduate Colloquium, October 2010.
- Pfeiffer-Herbert, A.S., Kincaid, C.K., and Bergondo, D.L., Pathways and variability of larval transport across an estuarine-shelf interface, 2012 Ocean Science Meeting, February 2012.
- Burke, M., Bell, W., and Bergondo, D., Residence Times and Influences on Stratification in the Thames River Estuary, 2011 Innovation Expo, October 2011.
- Winterberger, S., Bergondo, D., and Andrechik, J., Residence times and non-tidal influences on stratification in the Thames River estuary, 2011 Innovation Expo, October 2011.
- Burke, M., Bell, W., and Bergondo, D., Residence Times and Influences on Stratification in the Thames River Estuary, 65th Annual Eastern Colleges Science Conference, Sacred Heart University, April 2011.
- Pfeiffer-Herbert, A.S., Kincaid, C.K., Rosenberger, K., and Bergondo, D.L., Dynamics of deep shelf water intrusions in the Narragansett Bay estuary, Gordon Research Conference on Coastal Ocean Circulation, New London, New Hampshire, July, 2009.
- Winterberger, S., Bergondo, D., and Andrechik, J., Residence times and non-tidal influences on stratification in the Thames River estuary, Northeast Undergraduate Research Development Symposium (NURDS), March 2009.
- Coastal and Estuary Research Federation (CERF) – 2002 to present
- New England Estuarine Research Society (NEERS) – 2002 to present
- The Oceanographic Society (TOC) – 2000 to present
- The Thames River Basin Partnership (TRBP) – 2012 to present