Medical and Dental Enrollment Information
Immunizations: Please get all your shots up to date, then fax your Immunization Record Form as soon as possible to 860-701-6665, then mail it to arrive by June 1st.
Dental: Have a thorough exam and complete recommended treatment, including extraction of wisdom teeth, by June 1st to allow full recovery. If you have significant dental history such as cleft palate repair, orthognathic surgery, or oral facial trauma, submit these records. Finally, submit dental xrays taken after January 1st on a CD, with your name and exposure date marked, along with your Immunization Record Form.
Contact Lenses: During your orientation at the Academy you will have to use glasses until a vision exam is given. Bring two pairs of glasses when you report, for backup, plus a supply of contact lenses.
Once sworn in, your primary insurance will be Tricare, through the Coast Guard. If you have private insurance, it will serve as a secondary form of insurance. Please note the following important points:
- Only the Academy Clinic can make referral appointments for you. Scholars cannot obtain non-emergency medical care at home or elsewhere without prior authorization.
- If you are currently covered by Tricare as a dependent, your coverage status will be updated to reflect your active duty status. When you leave the Scholar Program, before commissioning, parents can reinstate your previous status as an eligible dependent.
- Keeping private insurance coverage for the duration of your enrollment is recommended, so you do not experience a lapse in coverage.
During Orientation, the Academy Clinic provides primary medical and dental care. The Clinic responds to acute illness or injury around the clock. Facilities include:
- Outpatient Department
- Dental Clinic
- Physical Therapy Department
- Ancillary Services such as Radiology
At Prep School, medical services are on campus. If specialty care is needed, services are available in the community, by referral. You must contact the Coast Guard Academy Health Benefits Advisor prior to receiving specialty care.