The Coast Guard Academy is ranked among the nation’s elite undergraduate colleges. This is reflected in our highly selective admission process, which annually admits about 300 cadets from thousands of applicants.
Unlike the other federal service academies, the Coast Guard Academy does not require a Congressional nomination.
- Early Action: 15 October
- Regular Admission (U.S. citizens): 15 January
- International Admission: See https://www.uscga.edu/admission-and-tuition
Required/supplemental forms and standardized test scores will be accepted for 14 days after the deadlines above.
To be considered for admission you must submit a complete application by the deadline.
You are eligible to apply for the Coast Guard Academy if you are:
- A U.S. citizen of sound moral character
- Unmarried with no dependents or financial debt
- 17-22 years of age on last Monday in June
- A high school graduate or GED recipient (or will be prior to entry)
If you are not a U.S. citizen, you may want to consider applying to be an International Cadet.
The initial application data allows us to start a file on you.
Essays are available online as part of the online application.
- High school transcript(s)
- Math instructor letter of recommendation
- English instructor letter of recommendation
- High school counselor letter of recommendation
- Physical Fitness Examination (PFE)
Though not required for review of your application, a qualifying DoDMERB Medical Exam must be on file before an appointment to the Academy can be offered.
- Resume (optional)
- Standardized test scores (optional)
- Request to waive use of standardized test scores (conditional)
- Up to two extra letters of recommendation (optional)
- Commanding Officer recommendation (if currently serving in the military)
- College transcripts (if you are or were in college)
Standardized test scores are optional but encouraged. Submit as follows:
- Self-report by uploading your score reports in the Personal Statements section of the online application
- Via your high school transcript
- Via your Guidance Office
- Through the College Board or ACT
To send your scores from the testing agency, contact College Board or ACT, or list the Academy code when you take the test. Our SAT code is 5807 and our ACT code is 0600. Please visit the College Board or ACT websites to register:
Admissions may request to interview applicants and prospective applicants in order to best meet your needs and the Academy’s enrollment goals. If so, a representative of Admissions will contact you. If selected for an interview, participation is required. The format of the interview – online, by phone, or face-to-face – will be based on the mutual consent of all parties, with health and safety the paramount concern.