Dr. Reza’s current position at the Academy is Professor of Electrical Engineering in the Department of Engineering. Before joining the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, he was employed at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (UWM) since July 1986. His last position and rank at UWM was tenured full professor.
- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming, May 1986
- M.S., Nuclear Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, August 1978
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran, December 1975
Courses Taught at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy
- Electrical Engineering I
- Signals, Systems and Transforms
- Digital Signal Processing
- Communication Systems
Courses Taught at Other Universities
- Undergraduate: Advanced Engineering Mathematics, Electrical Engineering Circuits, Signals and Systems, Electronic Circuits, Microprocessors, and Probability and Statistics
- Undergraduate/Graduate: Control Systems Theory, Digital Signal Processing, Random Signals and Systems, Digital Filter Design, Communication Systems, and Introduction to Artificial Neural Networks
- Graduate: Advanced Linear Systems, Image Processing, Pattern Recognition; Stochastic, Neural and Fuzzy Approaches, Adaptive Filtering, Particle Filtering, Discrete Wavelet Transform in Signal Processing, Multidimensional Digital Signal Processing, Artificial Neural Networks & Applications, and Advanced Digital Signal Processing
Selected Publications and Presentations
The results of Dr. Reza’s research efforts along with his students and colleagues are published in more than hundred articles in refereed journals and conference proceedings. A small sample from his publications is given below:
- Ali M. Reza, “System Level Design of Arithmetic Encoder/Decoder for JPEG 2000 Standard,” International Journal of Signal and Imaging Systems Engineering. In Press.
- Jawad Al-Asad, Ali M. Reza, and Udomchai Techavipoo “An Ultrasound Image Despeckling Approach based on Principle Component Analysis,” International Journal of Image Processing (IJIP) Vol. 8, No. 4, July 2014, pp. 156-177.
- Ali M. Reza, “JPEG2000 Hardware Implementation: Procedures and Issues,” WSEAS Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 12, No. 4, April 2013, pp. 101-117.
- Ali M. Reza, “Adaptive Noise Filtering of Image Sequences in Real Time,” WSEAS Transactions on Systems, Vol. 12, No. 4, April 2013, pp. 189-201.
- Ali M. Reza, and Lian Zhu, “Analysis of Error in the Fixed-Point Implementation of two-Dimensional Discrete Wavelet Transforms,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 52, No. 3, March 2005, pp. 641-655.
- Amjed S. Al-Fahoum and Ali M. Reza, “Perceptually Tuned JPEG Coder for Echocardiac Image Compression,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, Vol. 8, No. 3, September 2004, pp. 313-320.
- Yousef M. Hawwar and Ali M. Reza, “Spatially Adaptive Multiplicative Noise Image Denoising Technique,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 11, No. 12, December 2002, pp. 1397-1404.
- Professor Emeritus, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee
- Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Member of Institute of Navigation (ION)