Coast Guard Academy Cyber Council
The Coast Guard Academy is central to the Service’s efforts of building a cyber workforce. The Cyber Council helps to coordinate the Academy’s contributions to this effort to ensure that all Academy graduates obtain the knowledge and skills required to serve as commissioned officers in the modern Coast Guard and supports the specialized development of those cadets and faculty who desire to serve within the USCG Cyberspace Forces.
The Cyber Council is chartered by the Superintendent of the Coast Guard Academy to fulfill the requirements of the National Centers of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense (CAE-CDE) Program. The Cyber Council thus serves as the Academy’s “Center for Cyber Defense Education.”
The U.S. Coast Guard has established mission-essential cyber domain priorities, its own Cyber Command (CG CYBER), and an Office of Cyberspace Forces (CG-791):
- Cyber Strategy (June 2015)
- Vision for the Future (February 2020)
- Cyber Officer Career Information (Feb 2021) [account required for guide access]
- Cyber Strategic Outlook (August 2021)
Cyber Council Objectives
- Achieve and maintain designation as a Department of Homeland Security/National Security Academy Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education (DHS/NSA CAE-CDE)
- Advocate for appropriate resourcing for cyber education
- Advise senior leaders on cyber education and training
- Identify and promote opportunities for collaboration including research, outreach, partnerships, internships, and grants
Accreditation and GovernanceThe Chair of the Cyber Council is appointed by a member of the USCGA Senior Leadership Team. The Council appoints its own vice-chair. Membership on the Council draws from across the Academy including the Schools of Engineering & Cyber Systems, Leadership & Management, and Science, Mathematics, & Humanities as well as Cadet Training, Information Systems, and Admissions. External members are sought from the Coast Guard Cyber Command, Research and Development Center, and Headquarters; and the U.S. Cyber Command.