David F. Mazurek, Ph.D., P.E., F.ASCE
Dr. Mazurek joined the faculty of the Civil Engineering section in 1990. He was previously employed by General Dynamics’ Electric Boat Division, where he provided submarine construction support and conducted engineering design and analysis associated with pressure hulls and other structures. He also conducted research in the area of structural noise and vibration transmission reduction in submarines. Just prior to joining the Academy faculty, he taught for one year at Lafayette College in the Department of Civil Engineering.
Dr. Mazurek’s current research interests lie in the area preserving and interpreting the history of railroad structures, working closely with the Ontario and Western Railway Historical Society. He has also collaborated with the Federal Railroad Administration to study improved methods for in situ stress measurements of steel railroad bridges. Prior to his work in railroad engineering, he conducted research pertaining to vibration-based methods for detecting damage in structures such as highway bridges, ships, and towers. He has been involved in structural forensics, having investigated the collapses of several Coast Guard navigation and communication towers. He has also been engaged in risk assessment and building security issues, including developing the course Structural Design for Extreme Events, with blast-resistant design as a main emphasis. He has actively served on the American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Association’s Committee for Steel Structures since 1991, and is past chair of its Subcommittee on Coatings and Special Construction.
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Connecticut, 1988
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Florida Institute of Technology, 1984
- B.S., Ocean Engineering, Florida Institute of Technology, 1982
- Mechanics of Materials
- Structural Analysis
- Steel Design
- Reinforced Concrete Design
- Structural Design for Extreme Events
- Soil Mechanics
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Beer, F.P., Johnston, E.R., DeWolf, J.T., and Mazurek, D.F. (2021). Statics and Mechanics of Materials, 3rd Edition, McGraw-Hill. [Also a co-author of the 1st and 2nd Ed.]
- Beer, F.P., Johnston, E.R., DeWolf, J.T., and Mazurek, D.F. (2020). Mechanics of Materials, 8th Edition, McGraw-Hill.” [Also a co-author of the 5th, 6th, and 7th Ed.]
- Beer, F.P., Johnston, E.R., Mazurek, D.F. (2019). Vector Mechanics for Engineers: Statics, 12th Edition, McGraw-Hill. [Also a co-author of the 9th, 10th, and 11th Ed., and collaborator of the 8th Ed.]
- Mazurek, D.F., and Tarhini, K.M. (2019). “Two collapses of the Ontario & Western Railway’s bridge at Fish’s Eddy.” Proceedings 2019 New York City Bridge Conference, BEA.
- Mazurek, D.F. (2016). “Vibration-Based Estimation of Tension Stress in Steel Eyebars.” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 142, Issue 12.
- Mazurek, D.F. (2013). “Condition Assessment of Fixed-Ended Steel-Bar Tension Members.” 2013 Conference of the ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute, ASCE.”
- Mazurek, D.F. (2012). “Enhancement of an Inveterate Method for Measuring Eyebar Tension.” Proceedings 2012 NDE/NDT for Highways and Bridges, ASNT.
- Mazurek, D.F. (2011). “Measuring Dead Load Stress of Eyebars in Steel Railroad Bridges.” Proceedings 2011 American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Association, AREMA
- Mazurek, D.F. (2011). “Effects of End-Restraint on Eyebar Behavior in Bridges.” Proceedings 2011 Society for Experimental Mechanics, SEM.
- Mazurek, D.F. (2010). “Evaluation of Common Method for Eyebar Tension Measurement.” Proceedings 2010 ASCE Structures Congress, ASCE.
- Coast Guard Engineer of the Year, National Society of Professional Engineers, 2015
- Civil Engineering Educator of the Year, Connecticut Society of Civil Engineers, 2015
- Distinguished Faculty Award, USCGA Alumni Association, 2014
- Excellence in Scholarship Award, USCGA Center for Advanced Studies, 2014
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Florida Tech College of Engineering, 2014
- Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- Chi Epsilon Civil Engineering Honor Society
- Professional Engineer, Connecticut
- Professional Engineer, Pennsylvania
- American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Association
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- American Institute of Steel Construction