The Academy Clinic provides primary medical and dental care for all cadets. The Clinic responds to acute illness and injury around the clock and maintains the following facilities:
- Outpatient Department
- Dental Clinic
- Physical Therapy Department
- Ancillary Services such as Radiology
Immunizations: Please get all your shots up to date, e-mail your completed Immunization Record Form as soon as possible to SMB-CGA-Clinic-Immunizations@uscg.mil, and bring a copy with you to Day One.
Dental: Have a thorough exam and complete treatment, including extraction of wisdom teeth if recommended by your dentist, by June 1st to allow for a full recovery. If you have significant dental history such as cleft palate repair, orthognathic surgery, or oral facial trauma, submit these records. Finally, e-mail your completed Dental Health Questionnaire as soon as possible to SMB-CGA-Clinic-Immunizations@uscg.mil and bring a copy with you to Day One.
Contact Lenses: During your first week at the Academy you will have to use glasses until a vision exam is given. Bring two pairs of glasses when you report, for backup, plus a supply of contact lenses.
Once sworn in, your primary insurance will be Tricare, through the Coast Guard. If you have private insurance, it will serve as a secondary form of coverage. Please note the following important points:
- Only the Academy Clinic can make referral appointments for you. Cadets cannot obtain non-emergency medical care at home or elsewhere without prior authorization.
- If you are currently covered by Tricare as a dependent, your coverage status will be updated to reflect your active duty status. If you leave the Academy before commissioning, parents can reinstate your previous status as an eligible dependent.
- Keeping private insurance coverage for the duration of your enrollment is recommended, so you do not experience a lapse in coverage should you depart the Academy for any reason prior to graduation.