Dr. Jackson grew up in Freetown, Sierra Leone, West Africa, where he graduated from the University of Sierra Leone with a Bachelors of Engineering degree in Civil Engineering with Honors. He is a licensed Professional Engineer with over 30 years of consulting, academic and research experience in geotechnical engineering, structural design, pavement engineering, construction management, field inspections and construction quality control. His professional experience spans the continents of Africa, Europe and North America. He has served as project manager, project engineer, design engineer and field operations manager on several projects for both private and government clients. Before joining the Coast Guard Academy, Dr. Jackson was an Associate at Stantec Consulting, where he served as office leader, project and field operations manager on several nationwide pavement engineering and research projects. He is active in several professional organizations and has published over 50 papers at national and international conferences. Dr. Jackson is a past president and director of the Connecticut Society of Civil Engineers.
- Ph.D., Geotechnical Engineering, Rutgers University, New Jersey, May 2003
- Mpl. Geotechnical Engineering, Rutgers University, New Jersey, October 2000
- Dipl. Ing. Geotechnical Engineering/Structural Design and Construction, Technology University of Darmstadt, Darmstadt, Germany, January 1994
- Materials for Civil and Construction Engineers
- Soil Mechanics
- Geotechnical Engineering Design
- Coast Resiliency
- Civil Engineering Design Capstone Advisor
- Transportation Engineering
Selected Publications and Presentations
- C. Fleishmann and H. Jackson “Educating Engineers in Coastal Resiliency with a Global Perspective on Climate Change,” 11th International Conference on Climate Change, Catholic University of America, Washington, DC, April 2019.
- H. Jackson, and E. Ellis “Exploring the World of Engineering with Natasha and Friends,” a children’s book, independently published at Amazon, Mar 2019.
- E. Awward, M. Mabsout, K. Tarhini, and H. Jackson “Wheel Load Distribution in Four-Sided Concrete Box Culverts,” Athens Journal of Technology and Engineering, vol 6, issue 1, pp 17-30, Mar 2019.
- H. Jackson, K. Tarhini, S. Zelmanowitz, and A. Zapalska “The Resilient Civil Engineer with the Changing Global Environment.” Proceedings of the 46th ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, Erie, Pennsylvania, October 2016.
- H. Jackson, K. Tarhini, C. Fleischmann, and E. Nakagawa “Ethics Activities in the Civil Engineering Curriculum at the United States Coast Guard Academy.” Presentation and Panel Discussion follow-on from the NAE Infusing Ethics into the Development of Engineers Report. ASEE National Conference, New Orleans, LA, June 2016.
- K. Mrakovcich, H. Jackson, I. Frommer, E. Page, K. Tarhini, and A. Waid. “Transitioning from Scholarly Teaching to Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.” Presented at Evidence-Based Teaching & Learning Lilly International Conference, Bethesda, MD, June 2016.
- K. Mrakovcich, H. Jackson, K. Tarhini, I. Frommer, E. Page, and A. Waid. “Using Case Studies to Enhance Students’ Learning and Critical Thinking.” Presented at Evidence-Based Teaching & Learning Lilly International Conference, Bethesda, MD, June 2016.
- Amendolara, J., Wolhaupter, B., Bogdan, E., Johannsen, B., Kramb, J., Jackson, H, and Tarhini, K., “Coast Guard Airport Rigid Pavement Rehabilitation and Storm Water Mitigation,” Proceedings of the ASCE Geo-Chicago Sustainability, Energy and the Environment, Conference, Chicago, IL, August 2016.
- E. Jackson, B. Gollin, S. Zwenger, H. Moore, H. Jackson, and K. Tarhini, “Dredge Spoils Management for Sustainable Support of U.S. Coast Guard Missions.” ASEE-Northeast Section Conference, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI, April 2016.
- H. Jackson, K. Tarhini, S. Zelmanowitz, and L. Maziar. “Infusing Information Literacy into Civil Engineering Curricula.” ASEE-Northeast Section Conference, University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI, April 2016.
- H. Jackson, K. Tarhini, C. Fleischmann, and E. Nakagawa. “Ethics Activities in the Civil Engineering Curriculum at the United States Coast Guard Academy.” National Academy of Engineering, February 2016. Infusing Ethics into the Development of Engineers: Exemplary Education Activities and Programs. Washington: National Academies Press.
- Jackson, H and Gucunski, N, “Reduction of Impulse Response data on rigid pavements: Comparison of single degree of freedom, cone and lumped parameter dynamic models,” ASCE Journal of Infrastructure Systems, vol. 21, issue4, December 2015.
- Jackson, H and Tarhini, K, “Progressive Integration of Design Process into Civil Engineering Curriculum,” ASCE Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice, Published online, ASCE, ISSN 1052-3928, October 2015.
- Bachtel, B, Nakagawa, E and Jackson, H “Professional Mentorship of Civil Engineering Students: The Coast Guard Academy’s Approach to Developing Successful Civil Engineers, New Perspectives in Mentoring Conference, Albuquerque, NM, Oct 2015.
- Jackson, H, Tarhini, K and Fleischmann, C, “An Approach to Improving Student Learning of Civil Engineering Concepts Using Case Studies.” Proceedings of the 45th ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference, El-Paso, Texas, October 2015.
- Jackson, H and Tarhini, K, “Enhancing Students’ Problem-Solving Skills through Progressive Integration of Project-Based Learning.” ASCE and International Foundation Congress & Equipment Expo (ASCE-IFCEE), San Antonio, Texas, March 17-21, 2015.
- Jackson, H and Tarhini, K., “Numerical Simulation of the Impulse Response Method for Rigid Pavement Evaluation.” Proceeding of the 4th International Conference on Geotechnique, Construction Materials & Environment (GEOMATE), Brisbane, Australia, Nov 2014.
- Jackson, H and Tarhini, K., “Numerical Simulation of Rigid Pavement Behavior to Non-Destructive Impulse Response Testing.” International Journal of GEOMATE, Vol.7, No. 2, Dec 2014, pp 1062-1069.
- Zapalska, A., Jackson, H., Tarhini, K., and Zelmanowitz, S., “Infusing Global Education into Engineering Programs,” Online Journal of Education, vol. 3(2), DOI: 10.5923/j.edu.20130302.03, 2013, p126-129.
- Jackson, H., Gucunski, N., “Recycled Portland Cement Concrete Modulus Evaluation using Surface Waves,” Proceedings of the GeoCongress-2012, Annual American Society of Civil Engineers Geotechnical Engineering Conference, March 2012.
- Blanshard, A., Jackson, H., “Promoting National Development Through Improvement of Education Provision for All Sierra Leoneans-The Role of the Diaspora,” Sierra Leone Conference on Development and Transformation, Jan, 2012, Freetown, Sierra Leone.
- Gucunski, N, Jackson, H. and Maher, A, “In situ evaluation of rubblized PCCP modulus by surface waves,” Proceedings of CETRA, First International Conference on Road and Rail Infrastructure, Opatija, Croatia, 2010.
- Non-destructive testing of civil engineering infrastructure
- Risk assessment in Geotechnical Engineering
- Numerical modeling of soil and pavement behavior
- Soil structure interaction
- Engineering Education
- USCGA Department of Engineering Educator Award, 2018
- U.S. Coast Guard Commander’s Award for Civilian Service, 2017
- Black Engineer of the Year (BEYA) Emerald Honors Award for Educational Leadership, 2013
- Southern Regional Educational Board Doctoral Scholar, 2001
- Chi Epsilon, Rutgers University Chapter, 2000
- Student of the year, Center for Advanced Infrastructure and Transportation (CAIT), 1999
- University Transportation Research Center Fellow, 1999
- German Academic Exchange (DAAD) Fellow, 1989
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Member
- Geo Institute of ASCE
- Deep Foundation Institute (DFI)
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Connecticut Society of Civil Engineers