Elise Jones, Ph.D.
Elise Jones is an Assistant Professor in the Management Department at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. Dr. Jones received her PhD in Management and Organization from the Carroll School of Management at Boston College. Her research focuses on how people construct work-related identities in the presence of tensions that emanate from social norms and how interpersonal relationships shape the way people navigate these tensions. Her dissertation used qualitative methods to explore how working mothers who were raised in a faith community in which they were socialized to prioritize full-time caregiving over paid work came to build professional careers, and the role life partners played in this process. Her work has been published in Academy of Management Review, Academy of Management Perspectives, and Research in Organizational Change and Development.
Prior to entering academia, Dr. Jones held various product management, business strategy, and human resources roles in small, medium, and large organizations in the technology industry. She enjoys spending time in nature with her family, making music, experiencing good food, and practicing her faith.
- Ph.D., Management & Organization, Boston College Carroll School of Management
- M.S., Management & Organization, Boston College Carroll School of Management
- M.S., Psychology, Connecticut College
- B.S., Business Management, Brigham Young University
- Human Resource Management
- Leadership, Organizational Development, and Change
- Senior Capstone Project
Professional Certifications, Affiliations, and Memberships
- Academy of Management
- Work and Family Researchers Network
- Boston Field Researcher Community
- Transitions Research Group
Honors and Awards
- Showcase Symposium, Academy of Management Managerial and Organizational Cognition (MOC) 2022
- Finalist for Michael Driver Best Symposium Award, Academy of Management Careers 2022
- Outstanding Reviewer, Academy of Management Managerial and Organizational Cognition (MOC) 2019
- Brigham Young University Religious Studies Center Dissertation Grant, 2019
- Donald J. White Teaching Excellence Award, Boston College 2018
- Showcase Symposium, Academy of Management Gender, Diversity, and Organizations (GDO) 2017
- Showcase Symposium, Academy of Management Managerial and Organizational Cognition (MOC) 2017
- Outstanding Reviewer, Academy of Management Organizational Behavior (OB) 2017
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Jones, E. B., & Gordon, J. R. 2022. Latent Identities: Cultivating Self-Definitions Independent of a Related Role. Presented in Moving to the Next Stage: Clarifying Constructs and Integrating Theory in Identity Research at the Academy of Management Conference, Seattle, WA.
- Jones, E. B. 2022. Should I stay or should I go? Connecting military retention research and veterans’ identity transitions. Presented at the Veteran Transition Research Institute Conference, Duke University.
- Jones, E. B. & Bartunek, J. M. 2021. Too close or optimally positioned? The value of personally relevant research. Academy of Management Perspectives. Focal article for special topic forum.
- Jones, E. B. 2020. Counternormative Identities: Products of an Evolving Intrapersonal Identity Network. Paper presented in The Challenge and Opportunity of Navigating Multiple Identities at Work at the Academy of Management Conference (conference held online due to COVID-19).
- Jones, E. B. 2019. Identity Partners: Facilitating the Positive Construction of a Counternormative Work Identity. Paper presented in Positive Work Identities in the 21st Century at the Academy of Management Conference, Boston, MA.
- Clair, J. A., Humberd, B. K., Rouse, E., D., & Jones, E. B. 2019. Loosening categorical thinking: Extending the terrain of theory and research on demographic identities in organizations, 44(3), 592-617, Academy of Management Review.
- Bartunek, J. M., & Jones, E. B. 2017. How organizational transformation has been continuously changing and not changing. In A. B. R. Shani & D. A. Noumair (Eds.), Research in Organizational Change and Development, vol. 25: 143–169. Bingley, UK: Emerald Publishing Limited.
- Jones, E. B., Chrisler, J. C., & Johnston-Robledo, I. 2012. Toward a mother-friendly workplace: Workplace flexibility intervention outcomes. In M. A. Paludi (Ed.), Psychology for Business Success (pp. 125-152). Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger. [Reprinted in M.A. Paludi (Ed., 2014), Women, work, and family: How companies thrive in a 21st century multicultural workforce. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger.]