All 1st class (senior) Management majors have the opportunity to serve on a management consulting team as part of their senior capstone course. Public Management Consulting (PMC) is the culmination of four years of study in the management major, as student teams tackle real-world projects both in the Coast Guard and the public sector.
Each senior capstone project is unique and enables students to apply knowledge and skills learned in the classroom to help solve business problems. Cadets scope the problem, conduct research, formulate a solution based on data and analysis, and design a means for implementation. Cadets produce a comprehensive written report and present their projects to their clients.
Recent Capstone Projects
- Improving the Coast Guard’s Officer Evaluation System
- Optimizing the organization of the Coast Guard’s information technology command structure and infrastructure
- Creating an approach to assess cyber risks in the maritime transportation system
- Improving the Coast Guard’s personnel staffing model
- Evaluating Coast Guard port operations
- Analyzing the implementation of additive manufacturing (3-D printing) to the supply chain
Cadets have traveled in conjunction with their capstone projects to: Coast Guard Headquarters and Department of Homeland Security Headquarters, Washington D.C.; Coast Guard Surface Forces Logistics Center, Baltimore; Coast Guard Sector Los Angeles/Long Beach and more.